Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2 Basic Dough Recipe!
Recipe for one 14 inch NY style pizza dough.

GramsOunces
Bread Flour (100%)
Water (58%)
Yeast (0.5%) IDY
Salt (2.5%)
Oil (2%)
Total Dough Weight with Residue  
Single Ball No Residue
Bowl Residue Specified  
2%
Number Dough Balls = 1
Pizza Size = 14 inches

Before we get into the pizza making process, I want to explain why the scales are helpful. I have been making pizza for more than 45 years. Most of that time I did not use a scale but I knew what the dough should look and feel like from my years working at pizza joints back in the 70s. You can make your pizza without the scales and I will provide volume measure for everything but I really recommend the scales. If I give five people a bag of flour and tell them all to measure out 4  3/4 cups of flour….when they are finished (if you weighed each one) they would vary quite a bit. Salt is another problem area - the courser the grind the more volume it will take up. One teaspoon of very fine salt can weigh twice as much as one teaspoon of coarse salt. That much of a difference will impact the flavor and fermentation timing of your dough significantly.

Tap or purified water  142.55 gr. (~4.8 FL oz.) - at room temperature 
Instant Dry Yeast  1.23 gr. IDY (~.4 teaspoons) - If you are using Active dry yeast (ADY) use 1.67 gr. (~.6  teaspoons)
Salt 6.14 gr. or (~ 1 1/4 teaspoon) - if measuring by volume, the recipe assumes a normal size table grind (not super fine or course).
Flour 245.78 gr. (~2 cups) - flour should be at room temperature 
Oil 4.92 gr. (~ 1 teaspoon) - optional - used as dough conditioner (improves extensibility) and will soften the crumb.

Note: For sauce and cheese information see the “making your pizza” post.

OK, let’s get started. This process will be tailored for hand mixing so room temperature water will be used.  It is best to get all of the items you need ready and pre measured before you begin. Find a suitable size bowl and add the water.

Add the yeast, stir until all the yeast is dissolved.

Add the salt, stir until the salt is dissolved.

Add the flour, mix with a heavy duty fork or by hand for about a minute. It will still look shaggy.

Add in the oil (if using), continue to hand mix for a few minutes making sure all of the loose flour is picked up and part of the dough ball.

Cover the bowl and set it aside for 15 minutes.

Next knead by hand for a few minutes. If you have never done this, just flatten the dough, fold it over on itself and push down. Repeat this motion for 2-3 min. 

Ball it up and put it back into the bowl, cover and wait 10 minutes. 

After 10 minutes you will do your first stretch and roll. Take the dough out and stretch it into a long skinny shape (like a stick for french bread). Then from one end roll it up like a jelly roll.

Ball it up and put it back into the bowl, cover and wait 10 minutes more.

Repeat the stretch and roll, then return to the bowl for another 10 minutes.

Repeat the stretch and roll, then return to the bowl for another 10 minutes.

If you have done everything right, the dough should be smoother and its internal temperature should be between 75-78 degrees F.

Shape the dough into a tight ball, place it in a clean bowl that allows room for it to double in size, lightly oil the bowl with an oiled paper towel before you drop in the ball and rub the ball around to light coat it with oil. 

Cover and store in the refrigerator for ~24 hours.The refrigerator should maintain ~35-37 degrees (this is where your will ferment (retard) you dough to build flavor, don’t skip this step).